Saturday, June 19, 2010

Another Unnamed Hero

I posted a blog yesterday about Vacation Bible School and our theme being heroes without a name. As I was thinking about this coming Sunday, I jumped right back to the theme and had to write about the one Hero in my life who has never changed. My dad.
Some of my fondest memories are traveling with him to see family friends, Lenny and Joy. Dad would take one of us kids on certain outings once in a while and each one of us felt so special when it was our turn. Another time was when our families (Lenny and Joy - again) went to "Worlds of Fun" in Kansas...and Dad and I rode on that big, huge barrel thing that spins, and spins and then the bottom drops out. Know what I mean? I thought I was going to be sucked down and dad grabbed my arm as we held on for dear life. Then there was the Christmas when we had tons of people over and it had snowed outside, and dad was helping me with this really big kids clock - teaching me how to tell time.
But most of my greatest memories were after we moved to Nashville. In the sixth grade I began walking to church with dad on Sunday mornings. We had some great times traveling Pennington Bend. It was early, but it was worth it. And throughout the week, I could drop by and visit at the church office at any moment. One moment was when two boys in my class at school died in a house fire during the night - and I grieved for them. Dad just sat with me and listened and advised, being tender and sensitive.
Then there were the years when I was married...had kids...and finally the divorce. A lot of years went by there. Some laughing hysterically, and others weeping. One time when my spoouse was demanding a divorce and had moved out, my air condition unit had leaked. I couldn't figure out at the time, where it was coming from. Dad came by and found it. It had leaked all over my box of most precious treasures, like years of old pictures, journals, and momentos. At that time I just couldn't take anymore - he and mom started laying out HUNDREDS of pictures all over the house while I wept uncontrollably. Praise God all was salvaged, except just a few. That was rough but even then, I knew I could count on him for anything. And that still applies today.
God has blessed me with the most wonderful dad in the world. He's been my tickler, teacher, worship leader, hand holder, driver, cheerleader, encourager, listener, advisor, handyman, gardener, mentor, and friend. He's always been the same in front of people or at home. And he's been a physical picture of what my Heavenly Daddy looks like.
So for Father's Day and every other day of the year, I just wanted to let everyone know what a true Hero looks like. He might not go down in history books or have lots of acalades. He might not have a Super Hero name, or wear a cape. But to me he's the greatest Dad in the world. I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment